AIMS & OBJECTIVES
SODELPA's aims and objectives are embedded in the Party’s Constitution:
The Party aims to:
1. Secure the greatest number of Parliamentary seats in General
Elections so that the Party forms Government and provides
exemplary political leadership for the Republic of the Fiji
Islands which reflects the multiracial nature of Fiji society;
2. Establish a peaceful, caring and prosperous nation;
3. Protect and promote the interests, aspirations and the rights of Indigenous Fijians and their group rights as stipulated under the United Nations Declaration on The Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the ILO Convention No. 169 on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Rights and to ensure maximum benefits for current and future generations;
4.Unite the citizens of Fiji and to represent them and their interests fully and with integrity;
5. Uphold Christian values and principles which endorse mutual respect for the beliefs and values of other religious faiths;
6. Protect, enhance and promote the economic, social and human development of all communities and to secure their future
7. Associate with and /or collaborate with other Political Parties in order to create an association / alliance for national unity
and to promote nation-building;
8. Provide the nation with good, honest, dedicated, transparent and competent government and to serve it with devotion;
9. Provide policies that prevent all corrupt practices and behavior;
10. Facilitate and foster positive economic and social development, sustained economic growth and development of all our communities;
11. Pursue foreign policies through bilateral, multilateral and
international relations which facilitate, foster and contribute to
Fiji’s economic, social and human development;
12. Consolidate the rule of law, an independent judiciary and
protect the fundamental rights and freedom of every citizen;
13.Select and support candidates for election to the Parliament of the Fiji Islands and the City and Town Councils throughout the Republic; and
14. Recognise the rights and aspirations of all citizens of Fiji which are covered in the United Nations and internationally recognised Conventions and Declarations.
On the 5th December, 2006, the democratically elected Soqosoqo Duavata ni Lewenivanua (SDL) government was removed by a military coup d’état – the fourth military coup in Fiji’s history.
The 2006 military coup was led by the then Commander of the RFMF, Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama who established a military regime which ruled for 8 years, formed a political party to win the September 2014 general elections and continues to rule with military backing.
The deposed SDL Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase took the matter to the Fiji Appeals Court which ruled in his favour on 9th April, 2009. Following this, on 10th April, 2009 the military regime purported to abrogate the 1997 Constitution and forced upon the nation a new Government Order.
On 6th September, 2013, with the assent of the President, the military backed Constitution was promulgated by Decree and imposed upon the people of Fiji.
Under the 2013 Constitution, a general election was held in September, 2014. The Constitution introduced a new electoral system making all of Fiji a single electorate constituency. Under the 2013 Constitution, a new electoral system was established for Fiji known as the Open List Proportional Representation System. The Electoral Decree 2014 [“Decree”] was promulgated to prescribe the manner in which elections were required to be conducted under the new system.
SODELPA the PARTY
The Social Democratic Liberal Party (SODELPA) was established in January 2013 after the dissolution of the predecessor Soqosoqo ni Duavata ni Lewenivanua (SDL) party. The Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures) Decree 2013, de-registered all existing parties and required that they re-register if they wish and that all parties registered under the decree should have an English name.
The SODELPA Party was duly registered by the Registrar of Political Parties on the 2 May, 2013.
The name of the Party is Social Democratic Liberal Party - SODELPA for short.
The party headquarters is based at 66 McGregor Road, Suva . Fiji Islands
The PREAMBLE of the SODELPA Constitution states as follows:
We seek the Blessings of Almighty God who has always watched
over our homeland:
RECALLING the events in our history that have both made us what we are and led us to where we are, especially the settlement of these islands by the ancestors of the native Fijians and Rotuman people; the arrival of forbearers of subsequent settlers, including
Pacific Islanders, Europeans, Indians and Chinese; the conversion of the native inhabitants of these Islands from heathenism to Christianity through the power of the name of Jesus Christ; enduring the influence of Christianity in these islands and its contribution
along with that of other faiths, to the spiritual life of Fiji:
RECOGNISING the native Fijians and Rotumans, their respective Chiefly systems and the Great Council of Chiefs and their ceding Fiji to Queen Victoria in 1874;
RECOGNISING that the descendants of all those who chose to make their homes in these islands form our multicultural society;
AFFIRMING the contributions of all communities to the well-being of that society, and the rich variety of their faiths, traditions, languages and cultures;
TAKING PRIDE in our common citizenship acknowledging the
goodwill of the native resource owners for the development of our economy;
COMMITTING ourselves anew to living in harmony and unity, promoting social justice and the economic and social advancement of all communities while respecting and rights and interests of
native Fijians and their traditional institutions;
REAFFIRMING our recognition of the human rights and fundamental
freedoms of all individuals and groups, safeguarded by adherence to
the rule of law, our respect for human dignity and for the importance
of family, WITH GOD AS OUR WITNESS AND IN WHOM WE ENTRUST THIS STRATEGIC PLAN TO BE A BEACON OF
HOPE FOR OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS.
Copyright 2013. Social Democratic Liberal Party. All Rights Reserved.